Thursday 6 July 2017

Sheep!

Not real sheep, I hasten to add.  I am working on items for a big craft fair in November and thought I could make some little sheep to sit on my stall alongside my other items.  "Surely it isn't that difficult to needle felt a sheep", I rather naively thought.   Well, after many hours needle felting, here is the first of what will be a small flock (I hope).
 For only my third ever attempt at needle felting, I am quite pleased with him.  I do need more practise, but that is to be expected.
He does have a character, doesn't he?  I am going to try to make some more with long fleeces and have purchased some Lincolnshire Longwool, which has curls in it.  I followed Jenny Barnett's book, 'Needle Felting Workshops' which gave excellent instructions, but I have a way to go until my sheep look like hers!

8 comments:

  1. What a cute little sheep, definitely has lots of character. I can't wait to see your flock when you've made it (be careful of your fingers) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I am hoping the sheep will improve as I make more of them, Being careful with my fingers is top priority - it hurts when you stab yourself with that needle (I know from experience!) I am considering getting some finger protectors...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I had my first go at felting the other day and made what was supposed to be a cat head, I ended up making it a fox head and even them it didn't look right, lol
    It's not as easy as it looks.
    Like the little sheep though.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. Having had a go at needle felting myself, I am in awe of some of the amazing makers out there. It is harder than they make it look, but I am hoping I will get more used to it. My first ever efforts (an owl and a rabbit) looked more like a brown penguin and a rabbit with a donkey's head. Not quite the look I was going for. At least this sheep does look vaguely like a sheep.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. What a complete cutie.
    And yes, character in spades...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. He is quite cute - more by luck than judgement, I have to admit! I did enjoy the making process and am looking forward to making a few friends for him.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I think he is quite sweet. I do need to get on and make him some friends now though!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete